domingo, 4 de octubre de 2026

What You Do Matters + What's Happening in the News?

INGLÉS V · PAGES 30–35

What You Do Matters + What's Happening in the News?

Anecdotes · Choices and Responsibilities · Modal Verbs · Advice · News Vocabulary

Datos del alumno

Topic Tips

Tip 1 · Modal verbs

Use should for advice, must for obligation, might for possibility, mustn't for prohibition, don't have to for no obligation and would for polite or hypothetical advice.

Travel tip: In anecdotes, Past Perfect often explains what happened before the main problem.

News tip: A headline is the title, an update gives new information, and a witness saw the event happen.

Page 30 · Put the Anecdote in Order 4 puntos

1. Which sentence works best as the beginning of the anecdote?
2. Which event happened before arriving at the station?
3. What was the problem at the station?
4. Which sentence is the best ending of the anecdote?

Page 31 · Choices and Responsibilities 10 puntos

5. Which word means “a result of an action”?
6. Which word means “a suggestion about what to do”?
7. Which word means “the ability to choose or act without unnecessary control”?
8. Which word means “something that is officially not allowed”?
9. Which word means “to permit something”?
10. Which word describes something that may be dangerous?
11. Which word means “something you must do or take care of”?
12. Which word means “an answer to a problem”?
13. Which word means “a choice you make after thinking”?
14. Which word means “an instruction or norm that should be followed”?

Page 32 · Advice from a Psychologist 6 puntos

15. Complete the sentence: You ___ understand that asking for help is a good decision.
16. Complete the sentence: You ___ ignore your emotions.
17. Complete the sentence: You ___ feel better after doing something relaxing.
18. According to the reading, making a good decision can lead to a better ___.
19. According to the reading, staying up all night can affect your mental health and academic ___.
20. According to the reading, when you feel overwhelmed, you ought to ___ to someone.

Page 33 · Grammar in Action: Modal Verbs 9 puntos

21. Choose the best option: I ___ watch a movie right now; tomorrow I have to take an important test.
22. Choose the best option: You ___ speak to a counselor if you feel overwhelmed.
23. Choose the best option: We ___ be late to the meeting. It's very important.
24. Choose the best option: I ___ help you with your homework if you explain it to me.
25. Choose the best option: You ___ finish the project before midnight. It's the deadline.
26. Which modal expresses possibility?
27. Which modal expresses lack of obligation?
28. Which modal is best for negative advice?
29. Which sentence gives advice in a natural way?

Page 34 · Dear Clara: Advice Situations 2 puntos

30. Which response fits this problem best: “I want to join a music club, but I’m afraid I’m not good enough.”
31. Which response fits this problem best: “My best friend is not talking to me. I don’t know what to say.”

Page 35 · News & Reports (with topic preview) 6 puntos

32. Which word means “something that happens” in the news?
33. Which word means “a person who sees something happen”?
34. Which word is the title of a news story?
35. Which word means “new information about a story”?
36. Which word means “taken by the police”?
37. Which word means “hurt physically”?

Writing Task · Dear Clara

Choose one situation and write a short answer using at least 3 modal verbs.

Situation A: Dear Clara, I want to join a music club, but I'm afraid I'm not good enough. What should I do?
Situation B: Dear Clara, my best friend is not talking to me. I don't know what to say.

Finaliza la actividad

Responde los 37 reactivos y completa la sección Dear Clara.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario